Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Top SEVEN Reasons Why You Should Watch Fringe- Reason #3 and #4

Every day up to the showing of Fringe’s winter premiere episode, I’ll be highlighting one reason why people should watch Fringe. This will ultimately add up to seven reasons. These reasons are in no particular order. The first reason that was posted can be read HERE and the second reason can be read HERE. I’m sorry about the delay with posting the third reason (which was suppose to be posted yesterday). I’m sick this week and I just needed yesterday to rest. I’m literally dragging myself through this week and the only light in my tunnel is Fringe this Friday!



3. Fringe is not just a Sci-Fi Show

I firmly believe that Fringe is more like a family drama than it is a Science Fiction show. Although Fringe does has its cases of the week that require the team to explore phenomenon that exist at the edge of what is possible in science, the cases always serve to illuminate the plight of one of our main three characters. At the heart of Fringe, there is so much exploration of guilt, sadness, trauma, joy, and most importantly, love. Fringe is first and foremost a love story- it explores how far we will go for love and what it means to love the people in our lives. In the pilot, these three people (Olivia Dunham, Walter Bishop and Peter Bishop) find themselves thrown together in surprising circumstances and they all have the same question on their minds- how the hell is this arrangement suppose to work? They are three people who are very much used to isolating themselves from the rest of the world, lost in their own way. Yet, somehow they find a way to connect to each other, forming bonds of love that didn’t exist there before. In short, they become a family.



What I love about Fringe is that it is not one of those really serious dramas that don’t know how to crack a joke every now and then. People nowerdays really underestimate the power that light comedy has to increase the likability of a show. The character of Walter Bishop, in particular, is hugely funny and often times he (or his son, Peter Bishop) is the character to break the tension in an episode whether it be by proposing one of his so-insane-but-it-could-work ideas, commenting on his favorite foods or being just plain crazy. The funny moments are also not awkwardly incorporated into the script- they feel natural and organic. Which leads to my fourth reason…

4. The writing is mature and more profound than anything you will find on television

Some Examples:



Olivia (“Marionette”): I understand the facts. I know that she had loads of information about me and about my life and about the people that were close to me. And I understand that if she slipped up that she would have a completely reasonable explanation for it. And I guess to expect you to have seen past that is perhaps asking a little bit too much. But when I was over there, I thought about you. And you were just a figment of my imagination. But I held onto you, and it wasn’t reasonable, and it wasn’t logical, but I did it, so… why didn’t you? She wasn’t me…How could you not see that? Now she’s everywhere. She’s in my house, my job, my bed, and I don’t want to wear my clothes anymore, and I don’t want to live in my apartment…and I don’t want to be with you! She’s taken everything.



Walter (“Alone in the World”): You matter to me. I care, and I… And I don’t want to lose you. I can’t lose you. (somber) Not again. Aaron… I know how hard it is to make connections. I know what it is to be lonely. It takes courage to be the one to take someone else’s hand, to trust that they won’t leave you. (upbeat) I won’t leave you, Aaron. And I’m begging you not to leave me. Please. Let it go. Let it go. Please. Let it go, son.



Peter (“The Day We Died”): When we first met, I was a nomad, moving from place-to-place, job-to-job. She gave me a purpose. She taught me to believe in something bigger than myself. She taught me to fight to keep our world safe, and more recently, to keep it from dying. The truth is –- we’re all dying. From the moment we’re born, we are all dying, and the universe is unspeakably cruel. Our one hope is that we can find some purpose, some meaning before that last day comes. Some happiness… and love. Olivia was all of that to me. There was no one like her. While I will not cease to fight, now that she’s gone, I’m afraid I’m already lost. That we are all lost. The world is a darker place without her.

Very rarely, while watching Fringe, do I think that the dialog is cheesy or out of place. The writers on Fringe are extremely gifted and I could provide many, many other quotes from the show to prove this point.

Watch Fringe’s Winter Premiere LIVE on Friday, January 13th at 9pm on FOX!

Episode Caps are courtesy of Fringe Files

Quotes are courtesy of Fringepedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for deciding to leave a comment! I greatly value each and every comment/opinion and I personally respond to each comment too!

I ask that you please be respectful and keep things clean! :)